Assignment Editor (Job # 51553854)
December 1, 2023 by Comments Off on Assignment Editor (Job # 51553854)
- Full Time
- Phoenix, Arizona
Telemundo Arizona (KTAZ) in Phoenix, AZ, is currently seeking an Assignment Editor. The successful candidate will assist in the efficient operation of the assignment desk. He/she will also assist in the production of newscasts, and when required, will produce these shows.
· Assemble the daybook on Dalet listing story ideas and daily newsworthy events.
· Monitor police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources for news and disseminate the information to appropriate newsroom personnel.
· Coordinate interviews and logistics for field crews.
· Facilitate the newsgathering process and ensure comprehensive coverage of all news stories across all platforms, including, but not limited to broadcast, digital, and web.
· Collaborate with producers, anchors, reporters, photographers, and other station personnel daily, to maximize resources and provide the best coverage during breaking news coverage and/or weather & emergencies.
· Lead editorial meetings; develop interesting story ideas using strong editorial judgment.
· Develop enterprise story ideas consistent with the news brand.
· Cultivate contacts important to news coverage in the state, including law enforcement.
· Establish working relationships with Public Information Officers for updates on significant events and incidents.
· Follow other local news channels to monitor their news coverage.
· Produce & assist with undercover special projects during sweeps. Includes recording interviews remotely and from the field.
· Cooperate with and support news and online platforms as assigned.
· Publishing of online content when required.
· Plan news coverage as directed by news management.
· Maintain a calendar with all future stories and events for planned news coverage.
· Stay up to date with local and national news stories and update the team as needed.
· Read police reports and find resources to validate stories.
· Search for court documents on cases and understand the use of case dockets.
· Perform other duties as needed and as directed by news management. Including producing broadcasts for air and digital.
· The position will require producing one day on weekends and weekdays as needed and as required by the editorial team.
· Keep news managers and producers informed on the progress of new stories.
· Answer phones and take notes on viewer calls for possible story leads.
· Edit videos for broadcast & social media.
· Work directly with the web producer to source stories for all web platforms.
· Work with Telemundo’s local stations and national assignment desks.
• Experience in the Phoenix market and familiarity with Tucson Area audience and communities is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field.
• Prior experience as assignment editor, assignment manager, or other related experience.
• Solid news judgment, strong writing, and research skills
• Experience using online and social media resources as news researching tools (Accurint, LexisNexis, Facebook, Twitter etc.)
• Experience with newsroom computer applications.
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions, act decisively, and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a high-pressure, breaking news, environment.
• Basic understanding and demonstration of solid editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including current knowledge of laws of libel, slander, and applicable FCC rules and regulations.
• Thorough understanding of satellite operations and microwave newsgathering technologies.
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels.
• Bilingual: Spanish and English; both written and verbal.
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology.
• Works well in a fast-paced, team environment.
• Willing to work long hours, holidays, and weekends.
• Works as needed when determined by news management.
• Applicants must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
• Must have a flexible schedule with the ability to work any of a 24×7 shift and willingness to work long hours, weekends, and holidays with short notice.
• Must be willing to work in Phoenix, AZ.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must have a valid Driver’s License and excellent driving record.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It is our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news, and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks, and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It is what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
To apply for this job please visit www.nbcunicareers.com.