Covering the 2020 Elections – Week One
State Broadcast Associations (SBAs) are invited to sign up for this exclusive, invitation-only, two-week essential training experience led by Al Tompkins of The Poynter Institute, brought to you in partnership with the Massachusetts State Broadcast Association. Offer all of your members participation in training to improve their coverage of the 2020 elections.
What Will I Learn in Week One?
Journalists and news departments in broadcast, digital, radio and print will learn how to cover issues that matter rather than focusing on horse race coverage. Learn how to tell stories that viewers will actually watch, read and listen to! By the end of this session, you will be able to:
- Identify the key motivators that make any story more interesting
- Focus on issues not horse-race “who’s ahead” political stories
- Assess what information people are hungry for and why
- Summarize what makes a great sound byte and why
- Employ effective storytelling strategies in less-than-perfect situations, like what to do when the video is boring
- Draw from examples of interesting and insightful stories on immigration, medical costs and student debt